Re: [AMBER-Developers] amberlite and GIT

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 21:10:47 -0400

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 06:06:10PM -0400, Jason Swails wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
> > > Are they still symlinks?
> >
> > No, once you remove the symlinks and build the correct executable
> > scripts appear in bin and all's well.
>
> ???OK, good. I'm not really a fan of anything in bin referencing stuff in
> src/ when I can avoid it, so the symlink seems like something I would've
> gotten rid of by now :).
>
> Not the first time that weird stuff has happened on account of not
> thoroughly cleaning your tree following a particular commit...

Let me re-advertise some of my recent additions:

make distclean
# This target cleans src and tests, removes includes, libs, and the config file;
# the intention is that distclean does the necessary cleaning to enable
# rebuilding with a different compiler.

make superclean
# This target cleans all generated files including all executables;
# the intention is that superclean returns the distribution to a
# pristine state.

However, these targets are only as thorough the developers that add new
software, ie, new software should have clean and uninstall targets.

While there is no bigger hammer than the 20 lb sledge of gitsuperclean,
#to purge every untracked file from your tree:
alias gitsuperclean 'git clean -fxd'

the sledge hammer really smacks when it backfires <#:L{
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club

scott