Re: [AMBER-Developers] netcdff's configure options

From: Timothy J Giese <timothyjgiese.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:18:39 -0400

On 03/19/2014 08:12 PM, Daniel Roe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Timothy J Giese <timothyjgiese.gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If the user is compiling with the gcc toolchain, netcdf's configure may
>> properly determine the use of gcc, but if the name of compiler is funny
>> e.g., gfortran44,
>> (or maybe because the compiler is REALLY old - I'm not sure of the
>> exact reason for the problems I was seeing), problems can occur.
>>

> Out of curiosity, do you know exactly which compiler and version that you
> had problems with?

GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.4.4 20100726 (Red Hat 4.4.4-13)
(but named gfortran44 to not conflict with the version
4.1 compiler named gfortran)

> We could add defines to the netcdf fortran configure line based on
> specified compilers, but I hesitate to do that (right before release)
> because then we're *always* overriding the netcdf configure script's logic.

Right. Probably too late for release, but worth noting for the future.

Another reason for NOT including it in configure2 is that there
doesn't appear to be a natural way of changing to a
funnily-named-compiler without having manually changed (for example)
cc=gcc
cc=gccFunnyName
within configure2 in the first place.

...but anyone who had the knowledge to make such a change would likely
also be capable of compiling netcdff given the instruction to
recompile netcdff with -DgFortran (or -DpgiFortran), as described above.

Another possibility (for the future) would be to compile
netcdff without the flag and *if it failed* retry a second time
with the flag.

-Tim