Re: [AMBER-Developers] netcdff's configure options

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 18:12:19 -0600

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Timothy J Giese <timothyjgiese.gmail.com>wrote:

> If the user is compiling with the gcc toolchain, netcdf's configure may
> properly determine the use of gcc, but if the name of compiler is funny
> e.g., gfortran44,
> (or maybe because the compiler is REALLY old - I'm not sure of the
> exact reason for the problems I was seeing), problems can occur.

Out of curiosity, do you know exactly which compiler and version that you
had problems with?

We could add defines to the netcdf fortran configure line based on
specified compilers, but I hesitate to do that (right before release)
because then we're *always* overriding the netcdf configure script's logic.
I think if we do decide to go this route it needs thorough testing for gnu,
intel, and pgi compilers across multiple platforms. I can start doing some
of these tests tomorrow.

We could maybe instead make it an option to configure named
'-setnetcdfdefine' or something, so if users have problems with the
'normal' configure they can try the option which will explicitly set the
define based on the specified compiler...

-Dan

--
Daniel R. Roe, PhD