Re: [AMBER-Developers] EMIL breaks everything???

From: Josh Berryman <the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:35:57 +0100

Good morning everyone. It seems that my first merge of a branch didn't go
terribly well, sorry about that again.

Please no-one else invest any more time in this than you have to in order
to get your own thing working. If you have a problem or concern with the
code that I've introduced then let me know and I will fix it for you.
 Given the circumstances working on a Saturday is not a big problem for me,
although I have to sleep at some point.

>>Also, there appear to have been a large number of changes from this in the
>>pmemd branch without it being clear if protections were put in place for
>>the GPU - is EMIL supported in the GPU code? - there doesn't appear to be
>>a check to quit if not.

Yes, it works with cuda but there is an increase in code size and a
smaller (proportionally) but still measurable one in resident memory
footprint, I was going to show you the figures at the meeting to discover
if that matters. If so then its no problem to throw a warning when the two
are configured together.

>>Plus I am assuming someone tested the serial and parallel performance to
>>make sure it was not impacted?

Yes, execution speed is unaffected (unless you actually set emil_do_calc=1,
of course). Inside the main loop of mdrun the only extra code is inside a
couple of if-thens which the branch prediction probably gets right anyway,
so its not surprising that there is no penalty. Graphs at the meeting.

>>I have changed the emil build scripts. I added a custom Makefile, and it
>>conforms now to the rest of Amber (except for MTK++ and the 3rd-party
tools
>>that still need to be configured).

Thanks for that. Its saturday morning now where I am, I was expecting to
have to do it myself. With the use of autotools.... I really thought that
was what I was supposed to do, and it seemed to be working. I suppose I
should have asked.

Josh