Re: [AMBER-Developers] Zero VDW radii causing havoc.

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:39:10 -0400

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013, Ross Walker wrote:

> So I am proposing that we have code in rdparm that detects zero VDW radii,
> prints a warning message about it and then adjusts these radii in the code
> to 0.0000001.

I don't understand how/why this fixes any problem. First, you would have
to get to distances comparable to the radius for such a term to have any
effect. You would have already very much messed things up by that point.
Second, atoms like OH have a zero epsilon as well as a zero radius, so
just changing the radius would have no effect.

Note that Istvan's lmodprmtop hack directly changes the LJ A term from
zero to 1000. This has the advantage of not assuming any particular mixing
rules, i.e. it still works when NBFIX like changes have been used.

....dac