Re: [AMBER-Developers] What happened to the dashboard?

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 17:58:37 -0400

Hi,

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 03:13:37PM -0600, Daniel Roe wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM, <dcerutti.rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> > Also, I was recently talking with another group that has their own 80-man
> > git-based software development project, and their revision control
> > includes a lobby for all new code where it is tested for compilation
> > compatibility and also runs the test suite before code is then committed
> > to the repository. Would it be reasonable to set up something of that
> > nature, perhaps with the cheapest GNU compilation as a filter against
> > non-portable or broken code, for Amber?
>
> It sounds good in theory, but in practice (at least as far as I
> understand what you mean) I think this might be really difficult to
> implement. Are you talking about every commit triggering several
> compiles (using different compilers), then running a test suite for
> each compilation? The current test suite takes a very long time (on
> the order of hours) to run, so even if the compiles/tests were run in
> parallel, that's still a long time to wait for each commit. What
> happens in the meantime if other people make commits?
>
> I like the current system of each user making sure the code compiles
> on their machine (serial/parallel), running tests (again
> serial/parallel), then making the commit and letting the dashboard
> tell you if you broke the compilation using a compiler you may not
> have access to.

With some discipline each developer can implement his/her own lobby;
here's a developer daily routine; comments in []:

eat breakfast [ yummy in my tummy ]
git fetch; git diff origin/master; git pull
make code changes [ science, Science, SCIENCE - HOO RAY ]
[gee I'm hungry]
git ci ...
cd AMBERHOME; make; make test; ... [ lunch time ]
if all passed then git push
else fix it
repeat

Of course, more automated layers should be applied if we can work
out the details, but the basic daily steps of pulling commits from
others and testing before pushing should be routine.

scott