[AMBER-Developers] cruisecontrol was Re: dreaded unspecified launch failures

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:13:59 -0400

Hi,

On Cruise control, i think we just need some more baby sitting and a
little more organization on the main page; details below.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:32:45PM -0400, David A Case wrote:
> 3. Cruise control is not a lot of help here. For one thing, the
> "Test_cuda_parallel_gnu-4.4.6" build is actually not testing the cuda code
> at all, but appears to be running general Amber tests (not cuda tests).
>
> The "test_cuda_serial_gnu-4.4.6" build just says "352 tests experienced
> errors!", but the history doesn't (seem to?) go back far enough to figure
> out when things broke. There is a graph of testing times (which might be
> helpful), but the x-axis has no labels on it.
>
> The "test_cuda_parallel_intel-11.1.069" build doesn't help, since all the
> tests just say "no CUDA-capable device is detected"

Agree and there have been other problems in the past:
some projects not running for days (circa just before the meeting);
some projects with script problems (eg a few days ago for
Project: Test_serial_intel-11.1.069
/home/cc/cruisecontrol-2.8.4/projects/Amber_serial_intel-11.1.069/../buildfiles/check_log.sh: line 45: [[: !: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "!");
etc.

But to be fair I haven't sent my suggestions to Robin/Ross,
keeping automated things running does take time,
and overall cruisecontrol is a giant step in the right direction.

> 5. I'm wondering if we just have way too many things going on in cruise
> control(?) If lots of things are broken, maybe it gets too hard to fix and
> people get discouraged. Should we consider scaling back to a few tests, then
> slowly adding more as we get things to work?

I have thought that better organization on the main page is needed:
instead of an alphabetic list of projects, put the build and the test
for the same platform close together and put the serial stuff before
the others; this could be made fancy but merely some well placed
whitespace could be a big improvement.

scott