Re: [AMBER-Developers] auto-tools

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:08:56 -0400

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > The SUSE package manager is zypper. You will need to run a command like:
> >
> > sudo zypper install patch
> >
> > Note this is not the only package you will need to install. You will
> also
> > need the packages gcc, gcc-c++, gcc-fortran, libtool, xorg-x11-devel,
> > xorg-x11-libXt-devel, libbz2-devel, autoconf, and automake if you don't
> > already have those packages installed.
>
> Do we (or should we) be requiring autoconf and automake for end users? My
> understanding was the developers would run such programs, and provide the
> resulting configure script and Makefile for end-users.

I don't think it should be required, but since part of AmberTools we
develop and release is managed via autotools, I figured it's not a bad
thing to suggest to those users whose added cost is just typing the word
"autoconf" and "automake" to their apt-get/yum/zypper command. Since these
platforms have 'just worked' without needing to modify any parts of the
MTK++ build process, though, it's probably best to omit these from the list
of required programs for Amber... I'll update my Wiki accordingly

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate