[AMBER-Developers] auto-tools

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:10:32 -0400

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012, Jason Swails wrote:

> The SUSE package manager is zypper. You will need to run a command like:
>
> sudo zypper install patch
>
> Note this is not the only package you will need to install. You will also
> need the packages gcc, gcc-c++, gcc-fortran, libtool, xorg-x11-devel,
> xorg-x11-libXt-devel, libbz2-devel, autoconf, and automake if you don't
> already have those packages installed.

Do we (or should we) be requiring autoconf and automake for end users? My
understanding was the developers would run such programs, and provide the
resulting configure script and Makefile for end-users.

The "problem" with these tools is that there have been several non-compatible
versions that became popular; plus, we should keep the required external tools
to a minimum.

...counter-arguments are welcome.

....dac