Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] manual prmtop file editing for free energy calculation

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 23:41:46 -0700

Ok - so I tried a few tests this evening and I think the conclusion is a
possible combination of:

1) PMEMD CUDA works fine for OPLS matching sander and pmemd.

2) AMBER has NEVER implemented OPLS correctly.

3) everything is hunky dorey!!!

Sadly I think I have to go with 2 - but then I don't think anybody has ever
actually implemented OPLS correctly and 2 actually in this case implies 1 is
fine - as in pmemd.cuda implements the broken opls the same as sander and
pmemd.

Attached are the test cases. Specifically I did:

$AMBERHOME/tleap -f buildit

where buildit is:

loadamberprep opls_uni.in
loadamberparams opls_parm.dat
mol = sequence { ACE ALA ALA ALA ALA AME }
saveamberparm mol opls_test.prmtop opls_test.inpcrd
quit

Then:

$AMBERHOME/bin/sander -O -i ../mdin -o mdout.sander12 -p ../opls_test.prmtop
-c ../opls_test.inpcrd -r restrt.sander12 -inf mdinfo.sander12

$AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd -O -i ../mdin -o mdout.pmemd12 -p ../opls_test.prmtop
-c ../opls_test.inpcrd -r restrt.pmemd12 -inf mdinfo.pmemd12

$AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.cuda_DPDP -O -i ../mdin -o mdout.pmemd.cuda_DPDP12 -p
../opls_test.prmtop -c ../opls_test.inpcrd -r restrt.pmemd.cuda_DPDP12 -inf
mdinfo.pmemd.cuda_DPDP12

This gives IDENTICAL results for all 3 codes - see attached tar file.

So... looks like we are good so far and the issue is just the off diagonal
stuff. Unless someone actually wants to go ahead and get OPLS working
correctly / figure out how to do it in leap and then try this again with
pmemd.cuda.

All the best
Ross