Re: [AMBER-Developers] fftw questions

From: Duke, Robert E Jr <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 04:03:09 +0000

Hi Dave,
I know I left pmemd capable of handling both fftw2 and 3 in case different users had different versions. By now, it would probably be fine to move forward to fftw3. With pmend, it used to be true that fftw could give you up to 10% higher performance, but only in single processor mode. This was accomplished by extreme processor optimization in fftw, with actual testing at fftw initialization. The cost of this was a little additional setup time (this all happens "automagically" on startup), and more significantly, somewhat confusing variation in the output fairly early on, in the last digit (due to actual differences in fft output, due to variation in algorithms in use - timing factors in the rest of the system could cause fftw to choose different algorithms at different times on the same machine). While fftw is some cool stuff, pmemd can live totally without it, and in parallel, the optimizations I did to the original sander fft code by Tom (originally from NetLib, if memory serves) were sufficiently goo
d that by the time you were using several processors, any fftw advantage was pretty much lost. So you don't really need fftw2 or 3 for pmemd, to be sure; pmemd was redesigned with a facility to easily plug in different fft implementations, but the need for this too, is minimal.

I have not kept up with the SSE stuff - I expect that this could bite you to not have flags if you have old hardware and old compilers mostly. One of the pmemd complexities in all this was that on really big installations folks might build pmemd on a login node with a different architecture than the backend compute nodes.

Probably all stuff you already mostly knew, but that is my review of history on these issues; I wish Intel would do something simple with their compiler switches and stick with it; perhaps they already have (the PathScale compilers were such a pleasure to use in this regard).

Regards - Bob