Re: [AMBER-Developers] Yacc dependency

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:43:00 -0500

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012, Jason Swails wrote:
>
> > To add on -- the command appears to just be using yacc, not
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > $AMBERHOME/bin/yacc.
>
> ????which command? Let's fix this, not rely on anybody's PATH variable.

I was talking about the command failure in Robin's case:

 bin/sh: yacc: command not found

I think if it was really using $(BINDIR)/yacc, we would have seen something
like

 bin/sh: /path/to/amber/bin/yacc: command not found

The config.h file should set YACC to $(BINDIR)/yacc, and all references
> should
> use $(YACC), not "yacc" or anything else. I don't see myself where the
> error
> is coming from, but it should be simple enough to track down on a system
> where one is getting failures.
>
> > I'm also pretty sure that the system yacc (or bison) will be used before
> > the Amber yacc if it's present.
>
> No,no,no,no. (+ 996 more). The amber build should be entirely independent
> of whether or not there is a system yacc, or byacc and bison, or whatever.
> Don't even think of trying to use anything but the yacc in $AMBERHOME/bin.

I'm not disagreeing about what _should_ happen here, I'm only stating what
I _think_ is happening based on evidence from the past.

As I say, I can't find the problem: the "parallel" target in
> $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/Makefile builds yacc before building nab; and the
> $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/nab/Makefile uses $(YACC) (not some generic
> "yacc").
> So, we need the real details of exactly what the failure mode is.

Is the problem occurring in the current checkout? Should the yacc install
be done before the sff install in parallel? Perhaps it's because sff_mpi
is done before yacc in the parallel rule?

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate