Re: [AMBER-Developers] ntb vs ifbox?

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:54:30 -0800

But, just because there are a few special folks that request such special
things, we should do it? What about the great majority of other users? For
those very few special folks, they have the freedom to edit prmtop.

It's so easy to mess up now. If one accidentally sets wrong ntp, you'd
have to restart. I bet a lot of people run into this. I did, numerous
times. And, I've never come to the occasion of needing ntb=0 with IFBOX=1
in my ~20 years of using AMBER. Why one builds a periodic box and runs
non-PBC? To study surface-tension effect to find out how a box of water is
gradually squeezed into a sphere? I guess, there are people who do that.
But, for great majority of our users, I bet when they build a IFBOX=1
system, they meant to run simulations with ntb > 0 and when they build
IFBOX=0 system, they meant to use it for ntb=0.

--
Yong Duan, Ph.D, Professor
UC Davis Genome Center and