Re: [AMBER-Developers] some thoughts about sander and Amber12

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:09:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

just my humble opinion of course but I think that putting sander into
AmberTools would be a major step away from a paid version of Amber at all.

Despite the tons of work many people have put into pmemd and the GPU code,
sander remains the main MD engine offering all simulation options, and if
we give that away for free, I dont think many people would buy (what's
left of) Amber 'just' for the simulation speed-up. Then we might as well
retire the AmberTools label and just call the whole thing Amber again.

Im not strictly opposed to that option, since everything should generally
be free in this brave new world after all ;-)

However, I can't judge that well how the (expected) increase in
usership&citations versus the (certain) loss of revenue would impact our
developer community.

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher
formerly at the