Re: [AMBER-Developers] Accuracy of the LCPO approximation

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:19:28 -0800

Hey David, 1 ns of sampling barely begins to cover evaluating the accuracy
of this approximation. In contrast, in my 1993 JCC paper, I randomly
generated tens of thousands of uncorrelated conformations, then calculated
their SASA with my algorithm, an *exact* but expensive algorithm out of
Berkeley, and the Still approximation. Just like similar approaches like
Kazunori Toma's Residues in a Sphere potential look right for native
conformations, once you drift away from the native state, both of these
approximations lose meaning. In the MolSurf case you see an overall
correlation coefficient of ~0.3 which is essentially random (mine was 0.98
or so). In fact, Clark Still himself offered me $14K to come up with
derivatives for my method in order to replace his. I did so, but I'm not
satisfied with their accuracy so I never published or took the money.

So the question you have to ask yourself here is: do you feel lucky? Are
you comfortable with using a potential term that is chomping at the bit to
pull you away from the native state into the bizarro universe? I'd post
the incriminating diagram but I'm at SC11 right now with no access to said
paper. It's probably in your library though. Heck, you can probably
download it.

Scott