Re: [AMBER-Developers] Proposal for a new git branch

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:23:46 -0500

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> The only real downside to this is that it makes cloning the tree take
> longer. However, I have new hardware on order including new switches and
> solid state drives that should improve this considerably over the coming
> months.

Actually, unless people are (foolishly) tracking bajillions of binary files
on a branch, the time cost of cloning multiple branches is negligible at
best. Unless, of course, the divergence between the branches is enormous.
In that case, there's extra information to transfer, rather than just a
note that multiple branches own the same commit (and it makes merging a
beast).

Of course this doesn't strengthen my argument, just yours ;).

> All the best
> Ross
>
> /\
> \/
> |\oss Walker

> | Assistant Research Professor |
> | San Diego Supercomputer Center |
> | Adjunct Assistant Professor |
> | Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry |
> | University of California San Diego |
> | NVIDIA Fellow |
> | http://www.rosswalker.co.uk | http://www.wmd-lab.org/ |
> | Tel: +1 858 822 0854 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
>
> Note: Electronic Mail is not secure, has no guarantee of delivery, may not
> be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate