Re: [AMBER-Developers] bugfix update script

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 01:38:18 -0500

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> One question. How does the script handle deleting files, creating blank
> directories and or brand new files? - I think several versions of patch do
> not support patching a non-existant file for example so you need to be
> careful here.

The ONE detail I didn't touch on in my lengthy document. Since it parses
file names to determine if we patch them or not, it knows if it should
create a blank file for any file that doesn't exist (first it creates the
containing directories if they're not present). Same as Unix "touch". For
deleted files, I don't know how to parse that out of the patch, so for now
it just lets patch delete the files if it's able to (according to the
manpage I saw, POSIX standard declares that empty files are deleted, as
well as any directories that are emptied as a result.

If any of the Amber patches in our repo right now (outside of 17) do that,
can you check to see if my script handles it correctly, possibly on
different platforms? If any patches do, it'll definitely be one of the
CUDA feature patches, I just don't know about it.

Thanks!
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida