Re: [AMBER-Developers] Anyone use restricted pointers in C?

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:05:37 -0400

Hi,

Unsurprising results regarding restrict.
I'm relatively clueless about exactly what you are doing, but :)
Isn't the likely difference due to the use of the memory hierarchy?
Bob spent a lot of time on cache performance tuning.
Even before pmemd, differences between charmm and sander
had a lot to do with the different memory layouts (although
sander was doing some more math which may have explained its
slower performance on some hardware).

An interesting experiment would be to profile, using the
hardware counters, the two codes on the same machine with
the same compiler family. This should in principle classify
the source(s) of the performance differences. However, going
from that to realized code improvement could be a long project.

scott