Re: [AMBER-Developers] tleap 1-4 scaling concern

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:57:12 -0700

Hi Jason,

> I have a slight concern regarding variable 1-4 scaling as it's
> implemented
> in tleap. Looking at one of the topology files created by tleap, it
> appears
> as though several dihedral 1-4 scaling parameters are just set to 0 in
> the
> topology file. However, it also appears these may correspond to
> ignored
> scaling factors (as with multi-term dihedrals and impropers, etc.), so
> they
> don't really affect results (hopefully). Indeed in a small test case,
> hard-coding all of the 1-4 scaling constants to be 1.2 and 2.0 appears
> leave the results unchanged wrt the old topology file.
>
> They are inverted as soon as they're read in, though, so "0" may not be
> the
> most industrious of choices here... Is there something I'm missing?

This was my suggestion and adding the 0 to ignored dihedrals knowing it
would be inverted was the whole point. That way if anything is messed up in
the code for calculating the 1-4 scaling or something modifies the list in a
correct way you will end up with infinite energies and forces for the 1-4
EEL and VDW terms and the calculation should stop. Rather than producing
'slightly' wrong results.

It also makes it easier to see which dihedrals are duplicates or not.

I guess the only issue is if a compiler objects to a division by zero but my
understanding is that division by a floating zero should not throw and
error, only integer division by zero should do this.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/