Re: [AMBER-Developers] bison, yacc, ubuntu and amber

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:34:04 -0600

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 09:58:45PM +0000, B. Lachele Foley wrote:
> > I am working on adding to this page: http://ambermd.org/ubuntu.html
>
> I thought that i had worked on that page, but
> there are only 2 log entries and I didnt do either.
>
> > The page says that earlier versions of amber needed bison or byacc. I
> got an install to go pretty well without any such (Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS --
> Lucid Lynx outfitted to be an LTSP server).
> >
> > Does that give anyone reason for concern? The test results are below.
> Details upon request.
> >

> Probably not. grepping the Makefiles shows that a yacc is used.
> But in configure there is
> YACC= \$(BINDIR)/yacc
>
> There are no useful comments in the logs on yacc.

bison was at one point necessary for Amber on Ubuntu. There was a line that
bison would interpret correctly, but the amber-provided yacc would not. It
was actually you (Scott) that caught the cause of this issue, and Dave that
checked in the fix (back in the CVS days from the look of the message log).

Here's the thread: http://dev-archive.ambermd.org/201003/0185.html . (I
actually remembered this thread...)

Not sure what this information serves.

Bison still isn't a bad package to have installed, though. Ubuntu is far
more minimalistic than many other distributions out there (necessitated by
the ubuntu folks sticking to the 700 MB CD limit where everyone else is
using DVD images). bison, ssh, csh, etc. are all packages that the Ubuntu
folks decided aren't necessary for the average user, but easy enough to
install for the CL guru.

All the best,
Jason

> Probably someone has updated the ubuntu page w/o verifying that the
> previous content is still valid ?
>
> scott

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida