[AMBER-Developers] Amber web server problems

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:22:13 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011, Ross Walker wrote:

> Ok. I figured out what the problem is and how to fix it but I cannot
> understand why.
>
> Our dns record for ambermd.org had the following:
>
> www.ambermd.org = 128.6.69.24
> ambermd.org => www.ambermd.org
> *.ambermd.org = 192.31.21.165
>
> However for some reason the DNS record dropped the alias for ambermd.org
> pointing to www.ambermd.org which meant http://ambermd.org/ will translate
> to *.ambermd.org which points at the machine running the git server, mailing
> list server etc. This then serves up the ancient backup of the site from
> when the Rutgers machine was having hardware issues.

Here's more info from our end. At rutgers, the address ambermd.rutgers.edu
points to the correct and current web page, *except* that then a redirection
(rewriting) rule then points things to ambermd.org, and one ends up with the
old backup.

We could remove the final re-writing, so that at least ambermd.rutgers.edu
would pull up the correct page, and hope that ambermd.org would later also do
so. Downside is that someone coming to ambermd.rutgers.edu would see the
"rutgers" part in the address bar, whereas now it is immediately rewritten
to ambermd.org.

Other questions, reflecting my ignorance about DNS and web servers:

1. "128.6.69.24" (above) gets to my personal web page, not the amber one.
How does ambermd.org actually know which web pages to point to on our server?

2. Is there a way to manually flush the DNS cache, and/or otherwise check
that things are now working?

...thx...dac