Re: [AMBER-Developers] [jason.swails.gmail.com: redundantredundancies]

From: Martin Peters <martin.b.peters.me.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:45:00 +0100

Hi,

Regarding the MTK++ applications mentioned below: protonator, mmE,
and SequenceAligner.

Details and examples can be found in the MTK++ manual found in
the $AMBERHOME/doc folder.

The sequenceAligner programs gives the user the ability to superimpose
two structures when the residue and/or the atom numbers are out of sync
by doing a Needleman-Wunsch or Smith-Waterman sequence alignment
followed by a superimposition. This is common when dealing with a family
of protein-ligand complexes and researcher would like to see the ligands
superimposed using the backbones of the proteins.

These programs could be turned off if it is deemed necessary to tidy up the
bin directory.

Regards,

Martin.

On 14 Jun 2011, at 08:11, Jason Swails wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I was certainly not clear enough about what I was suggesting. The fftws
> are, in my experience kind of a pain to build. First off, a parallel build
> *always* fails in fftw (make -j 2 install will choke on fftw for no reason
> other than perhaps the other threads are given a non-zero exit code). Also,
> an improperly timed "make clean" can trigger a fresh configure in those
> directories (because config.log or config.status may not exist, I forget
> which), and a bunch of tracked files are routinely changed by everyday
> commands (but not crucial ones, I don't think).
>
> I realize that pmemd's FFT is pretty fast, so my actual argument was that
> neither of the fftws are necessary at all, and their headache can be
> eliminated. Getting rid of them, though, would require RISM and mdgx to
> rewrite their FFT codes in order to use your interface, and as I'm not
> involved in their development, I can't speak to the cost-benefit ratio of
> keeping vs. discarding their respective fftws.
>
> Just thought I'd clarify.
>
> All the best,
> Jason
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>> On fft's in pmemd, my adapted version is pretty darn fast and portable
>> (original source was netlib, first adopted by Darden, and then I did a
>> substantial rewrite that made it faster), and you don't have to use any
>> external libraries. I don't think you were suggesting discarding it, but I
>> wanted to be sure it is understood that it really does a pretty good job.
>> For the fftw stuff, it CAN be a bit faster on some machines, especially at
>> very low processor count, but is a bigger pain to build, and as you scale
>> up
>> in processor count, it does not make much difference. There are two
>> versions because there were two extant versions of fftw at the time of
>> development, incompatible with each other, and everyone had not moved
>> forward to the second version. I suppose one could get rid of the older
>> version, but it is not as if there is a huge benefit in doing this. In
>> pmemd, the interface to the fft's has been generalized, making it easy to
>> add new fft implementations; this also means that there is little cost in
>> having a few extra implementations lying about.
>> Regards - Bob Duke

>>> 352-392-4032