Re: [AMBER-Developers] AT1.5 5apr11

From: Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 21:54:42 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

Re: "my bad" $AMBERHOME not set appropriately...

(bad news: experienced user == trusting idiot / not so experienced)
(good news: we now know what happens if you do not set $AMBERHOME)

I apologize for the hassle and frustration especially as release is
pending. What I did was simply extract the tarball, configure intel and
make install. Nothing else. I uncovered the python issue and then
started to blindly dig on multiple machines (like kraken, exposing other
issues that we still should resolve).

I think, however, that Jason nailed it. I wasn't setting $AMBERHOME and
had assumed that it was automagically set. As this had been set
automatically previously, I assumed it was set in the current install
scripts and I was incorrect in this assumption. [It may be beneficial
behavior however to reset AMBERHOME automatically however!].

The only upside is that perhaps we now know what errors people will see if
they do not set AMBERHOME correctly; perhaps this has not been a total
waste of all of our time...

I went back and did it all over again, this time with $AMBERHOME set
appropriately and after the wait for recompile, it all worked fine.

--tom