Re: [AMBER-Developers] problems with QM/MM energy conservation

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:13:54 -0700

Hi Dave,

Yes I know exactly what is wrong here and I have been 'suggesting' for a
long time how we might go about fixing it but it has never been put in.
Essentially when you run a periodic PME calculation with NDDO based QM/MM
inside the cutoff you compute the full QM/MM interaction. In the 'PME' part
of the calculation though you use a mulliken charge approximation. Therefore
there is a discontinuity in the electrostatics as you cross the QM/MM
boundary. You can check the QM/MM is okay by running a solvent cap with no
cutoff. Things get better for QM/MM when you run a larger system (MM atom
count), use qmcut=12.0 and also if you have a buried QM/MM region inside a
protein where there is less effective crossing of the QM/MM boundary.

The reason DFTB is fine is that it uses a mulliken charge interaction
(q[i]q[j]/r[ij]) for both the direct and reciprocal space calculations. One
possible solution is to add a force switching function to the direct space
sum in QM/MM which would then conserve energy but for the wrong reasons. The
other that I have been encouraging 'certain' people to implement for ages is
to add an option (supposed to be qmmm_int=3) to use a mulliken charge
interaction in the direct space for the QM/MM interaction with NDDO. I
believe this is what Jorgensen has been using for years. The potential would
then be smooth and energy would be conserved. It would be interesting to
compare the difference between the current approach and a Mulliken charge
QM/MM interaction. My bet is the difference would not be huge and the
improvement in energy conservation would make up for the more approximate
QM/MM interaction.

If Insuk would like to try implementing this I would be happy to help out.

All the best
Ross