Re: [AMBER-Developers] std=c++0x

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:03:49 -0500

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Ben Roberts <ben.roberts.geek.nz> wrote:

> Never mind. It turns out that the problem was the version of the gcc
> compiler I was using.
>
> In brief, the Intel compilers on the Mac make use of certain gcc headers.
> Recent versions of the gcc compilers - the 4.4 and 4.5 versions available
> from MacPorts - include headers that require use of the c++0x standard
> (i.e., using iomanip or whatever it was called), but also make use of data
> structures not supported in Intel 11.
>
> AmberTools seems to work ok with Intel 11 and std=c++0x - if the GCC
> selected is the version of gcc-4.2 shipped with the Apple development tools.
> This can be selected using "sudo gcc_select".
>
> When the next version of AmberTools is released, I'll put a note up on
> Amber On Mac to that effect. Is it also worth a note in the manual?

My initial opinion on this is no. I think you are one of (if not the ??)
only person using the intel compilers on a Mac. Not only that, but this is
almost certainly bound to change. I think it's well-placed on a blog or
instruction site (such as one of the multitude we have on ambermd.org), but
is probably not well-placed in the manual.

Just my 2c

All the best,
Jason

> Ben
>
> On 23/2/2011, at 12:38 p.m., Daniel Roe wrote:
>
> > Since this seems to be a problem specifically with the intel compilers
> > my first instinct is to just remove the std=c++0x flag altogether.
> > However, I think that it's likely people will still want to use these
> > compilers since they are the latest (but certainly not greatest)
> > version. I hate to say it, but probably the best compromise is to add
> > a flag to "configure" like '-intel12' or something which can be
> > described as "Add fixes for intel compilers (may not work on all
> > platforms)" that will put the std flag in there.
> >
> > Just to check, were there also any issues with the '-shared-intel' flag?
>
> --
> For greater security, I support S/MIME encryption.

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate