Re: [AMBER-Developers] sqm success/failure on ANP

From: Eric Pettersen <pett.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:34:27 -0800

Hi Andy,
        Thanks for looking into this. I have noticed that many sqm SCF
failures occur with ligands that include phosphate groups, which is in
line with your observation of SCF convergence difficulties with highly
negatively charged structures.
        The ANP structure in the context of the 2ews PDB entry doesn't really
allow for the "optimized" geometry delivered by mopac with it's
internal H-bonds to the phosphates, since in 2ews those phosphates are
occupied by H-bonding to the protein backbone and coordinating a
magnesium ion. Unfortunately sqm couldn't possibly run on ANP in the
larger context of the entire 2ews system, where the negative phosphate
charges would be stabilized by ANP's environment. Maybe if the
magnesium ion had been included in the sqm input (with the appropriate
formal charge change) it would have worked?
        Anyway, here's hoping for a trickier sqm sometime in the future! :-)

--Eric