Re: [AMBER-Developers] Write git access and the wiki?

From: Mark Williamson <mjw.sdsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:11:12 -0700

Ben Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a few changes that I'm in the process of preparing for the Amber 12 tree, some of which may also become a patch for Amber 11.
>
> But I'm not sure whether I have write access to the git repository, or the preferred means for changing the repo. I thought instructions might be on the wiki, but it appears that's toast at the moment (possibly related to the recent website downtime).
>
> Can anyone advise on the best way for me to submit changes to the code at the moment?
>
> Cheers,
> Ben

Hi Ben,

I think the server and/or network is still down at Rutger and Ross
implemented a temporary fix by updating the ambermd.org's DNS record to
point at a copy of the website here at SDSC. However this copy (
actually a checkout of the amber_web git tree) is not complete and
things like the wiki are missing.

So, this is a very quick start on how to add something to the git tree.
There is more than one way to do this, but I'm going to give a quick and
simple example.

Either clone a fresh copy of the current master:

a) Clone the current master
        git clone gitosis.git.ambermd.org:/amber.git
        cd amber

or

b) bring your local master copy into sync
        cd amber (or local name of where your git tree lies)
        git checkout master
        git pull

1) Make some changes to some files:
        touch foo_a foo_b

2) Notify git that you have got some new changes:
        git add foo_a foo_b

3) Commit these changes to your local master:
        git commit

4) You will now be presented with the ability to add a log message
describing your changes. Do this and save it.

5) Now, push your local change to the master to git.ambermd.org
        git push

I've checked that you have push access, so this step should work.

6) All done; you should now see an email to the AMBER_CVS mailing list
reflecting what has been done in the push.

If there are any issues, please get back to me.

regards,

--
Mark Williamson, Post Doc
Walker Molecular Dynamics Group