Re: [AMBER-Developers] release plans

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:41:28 -0300

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM, David A. Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>>
>> As an occasional Cygwin user myself, I believe it could be nice to
>> have at least a check, and make the test print a statement like: "You
>> seem to be using Cygwin. It is possible that this test fails because
>> of the default stack size limit in your system. If this happens to
>> you, consider resizing the stack limit by following the instruction in
>> http://cygwin_faq_address_to_the_stack_issue_here."
>
> Can you update the mswindows.html file with this sort of information?  (You
> can use CVS to checkout amber_web.)

You mean the info about resizing the stack? I'l look into it, but I
can only do anything useful in about 8h from now...

>> That would kill two birds with one stone: tell the user about the
>> Cygwin limits, and teach him how to circumvent it if he's really
>> interested. Then he can try the test himself later if he wants to.
>> Finally, it avoids the need to change the code at this point.
>
> I don't see how if avoids a change...if we implement Dan's suggestion we
> risk having his stack testing commands fail on some other platform....

I meant it avoids Ross's suggestion of looking into the code for the
real reasons behind the need for such large stack and try to solve
them, at least for now. And we may not need to implement Dan's test
now, just give a warning in case it's cygwin.

Cheers,
--
Gustavo Seabra
Professor Adjunto