Re: [AMBER-Developers] jar error opensuse 11.1

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:03:41 -0300

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Run.jar is not a java jar file: it is an amber test for the Jarzinsky
>> facility in Amber:
>
> Yes, but it would appear as though some of the newer Linux
> distributions are trying to be a little too *smart*, perhaps, and are
> guessing that something suffixed with .jar is a java jar file.  Hence
> Thorsten's suggestion to change the . to a _ to avoid this confusion?
> Of course, even arguably the most commercialized Linux, Ubuntu,
> doesn't make this assumption, and OpenSUSE appears to be the only
> distro to suffer from this (that I know about) if I correctly
> understand Thorsten's first email...  Doesn't seem any harm to me to
> change Run.jar to Run_jar, or even Run.jarzynski if we don't mind
> embracing the future and its wonderful support for long names :).
>
> All the best,
> Jason

Ops... Sorry! My bad.

Now that I read it more carefully, I noticed that Cygwin also suffers
from an apparently related error: When I try to open the file with vi
** for the first time **, I get the message below. After ignoring the
message, vi opens the file just right, and leaves this message on the
.viminfo file. Then, after that, every time I try to open it, it does
it normally.

The test works fine in cygwin though. I wonder if this is an issue of
the Java implementation. However, the error I'm getting on cygwin
points to a possible upstream change in bash defaults (I've looked
into some archives, but so far I couldn't find any changelog about
that). If this proves to be the case, we could expect more errors like
these to start appearing soon, as people update their systems. So it
really would be best to rename it.

Sorry again Thorsten!

Gustavo.

===== Message I get =====
$ vi run.jar

        " zip.vim version v22
        " Browsing zipfile
/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/test/jar/Run.jar
        " Select a file with cursor and press ENTER

        Archive:
/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/test/jar/Run.jar
          End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
          a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
          latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
          the last disk(s) of this archive.
        note: /cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/test/jar/Run.jar
may be a plain executable, not an archive
        unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of
/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/test/jar/Run.jar or

/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/test/jar/Run.jar.zip,
and cannot find
/cygdrive/c/Users/seabra/Cygwin-home/local/amber11/test/jar/Run.jar.ZIP,
period.