Re: [AMBER-Developers] Help with NVIDIA Compilation using ifort

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 04:01:14 -0400

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 08:35:30PM -0700, Ross Walker wrote:

> I have tracked this down to an issue with the -fast option, specifically the
> '-ipo' option that this implies. If one removes this then things link
> properly. From what I can gather -ipo is corrupting the symbols in
> cuda/gpu.o which leads to the link issues, even though there is no compiler
> error.
> I will update the configure file to fix this and send it to Dave.

> That said I am still seeing problems when the icc command line has
> optimization other than -O0 on it. :-(

Here's some comments that might be useful after the release for
a better fix:
dont the cuda people have some experience here; theyve ported a bunch
of scientific programs, right;
how many intel compiler versions have been tried;
how much speedup does -fast vs lesser give;
for the ipo issue, it might help to put everything in one directory;
for the ipo issue, -ipo[value] or -ipo-separate or etc might be useful;
your linking with ifort, try with icpc;
anything useful from -opt-report-phaseall;
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-building-netcdf-with-the-intel-compilers/

scott