Re: [AMBER-Developers] namelist

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:45:52 -0400

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 05:54:27PM -0400, Robert Duke wrote:
> have any specs past 1995. This IS a really stupid feature of fortran, at
> least through 1995, but it is not like it is the only stupid feature of
> fortran :-) I would be overjoyed if someone with experience with 2003
> could say wrong, wrong, wrong. Scott? Joe Krahn? We could write our own
> code, but it would involve parsing namelists I would think...

Right, right, right, as far as i know:
The New Features of Fortran 2003
www.fortranplus.co.uk/resources/john_reid_new_2003.pdf

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 07:45:40PM -0400, Volodymyr Babin wrote:
> you may also try using ncsu-parser to parse the input instead of
> namelist; it parses trees of key-value pairs and provides a
> way to know whether some variable (either a key-value pair, or
> a section containing key-value pairs) is present or not; OTOH,
> the invocation is somewhat more verbose then for a namelist
> (see one of the ncsu-*-hooks.f for an example)

this is the way to go in general imo.
your input is more readable than typical amber, eg, ./abmd_FLOODING/mdin

However, IF a serious effort was to be undertaken then in addition to
supporting expert and novice modes, we could go whole hog and create a
whole new input structure which handles a complete project and is based on
XML.

Please redirect your OOhhh my its computer science comments
directly to /dev/null.

The Columbus quan chem package has been down this road
and created a readable, single input file, completely backward
compatible Columbus Input Markup Language.
I bet even u can read it:

<ciml>

 <molecule>
  <description>
CH2 (4s5p1d/5s1p)->(2s2p1d/3s1p) (1.09A, 80). Christiansen ecp. From argos.txt.
  </description>
  <symmetry> C2v </symmetry>
  <geometry>
   <units> bohr </units>