Re: [AMBER-Developers] Requirement to build serial before building parallel

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0500

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 11:57 AM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 06, 2010, Jason Swails wrote:
>
>> It also refused to use the yacc compiled in the serial build.
>
> I didn't realize this.  The only need for yacc is in builing ncgen in
> pnetcdf, which I don't think we ever use anyway.  So we could probably
> eliminate that requirement by modified a Makefile somewhere in the pnetcdf
> tree.

This was also a while ago when ptraj.MPI made its debut in the CVS
tree. I'm pretty sure that issue also exists in AmberTools 1.3, since
I believe I remember responding to an Ubuntu user with the same error
I had and I told them to install byacc/bison from aptitude. I don't
know if anything has changed, since my system has had yacc ever since.
 I can remove it from my system and try to compile the latest CVS
checkout on Tuesday and get back to you about this.

> But we need to do *something* to get ordinary users to install AmberTools
> first; otherwise I think we will have way too many avoidable comlaints to the
> mailing list.

Perhaps we can turn the check for yacc (which could be turned into
another file if yacc doesn't need to be built) into a query that says
"We strongly recommend you install serial AmberTools first. Proceed
anyway?" and must read "yes" before continuing with the configure.
I've made that little addition really quick and it works fine. If you
want to check it out i can check it in, I think it reasonably warns
the user while allowing flexibility.

Thanks!
Jason