Re: [AMBER-Developers] compile error

From: Andreas Goetz <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 13:53:37 -0800

Just as Thorsten said. And gcc 4.2.1 shipping with xcode does not work.

I am not sure what you messed up in your system but installing macports
and gcc 4.4.3 from macports (package gcc44) works like a charm. At least
on a fresh OS X system. I would give macports a try:

Get macports and then do
sudo port install gcc44
sudo port install gcc_select
sudo gcc_select mp-gcc44

All the best,
Andy

Thorsten M Woelfle wrote:
> Try gcc44 from Macport, works for me, and Andi had the same experience ...
> 4.5 is broken from hpc. ...
> Any problems, let me know!
>
> Greetings,
> Thorsten
>

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
>
>> This is being done on Mac OS X 10.6.2 with the gnu compilers. GCC gcc
>> version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1) and gfortran gcc version
>> 4.5.0 20090910 (experimental) (GCC).
>>
>> The above is printout from gfortran -v and gcc -v.
>>
>> The gfortran was downloaded on hpc.sourceforge.org or something
>> (prebuilt binary). The gcc is just the one included with xcode. I'm
>> not terribly motivated to try macports or fink, as I've had problems
>> getting either of those to work properly in the past (I think
>> something about my OS is borked from my early fights with architecture
>> incompatibilities but I don't have any desire to reformat my machine).
>> I've never even gotten fink running, and half the packages I try to
>> install from port end up failing.
>>
>> For this reason, I rarely use my laptop for Amber. If nobody else can
>> reproduce these errors, I will likely give up on amber on mac until I
>> really give my machine a makeover. There's no point in cluttering the
>> list with errors that may be unique to my (borked) system.
>>
>> With this painful recent attempt at migration to (quasi)64-bit OS by
>> apple, I must say Linux has taken a big step over OS X in my
>> preference book.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jason

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am curious about which version of gnu compiler are you using, this
>>> might help debugging what happened.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mengjuei Hsieh, Luo Research Group, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry,
>>> University of California Irvine.

>> --

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
San Diego Supercomputer Center