Re: [AMBER-Developers] Case InSeNsitiVITY on MACS

From: Andreas Goetz <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:32:39 -0800

Hi all,

HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) is case preserving but not case sensitive. At
first I didn't like this. But thinking about it, this actually makes
sense. It prevents the user from doing dumb things like creating files
which differ just in the case of the letters like abc.f and aBc.f.

It is my impression that the makedepend script messes things up if
capitalization is used but I don't want to spend time chasing this down
right now.

So I am with Ross to use lower case for module names for now.

For the rest, IMO capitalization improves readability of the code. I
used to be a fan of lower case mixed with underscores until I have seen
code using capitalization instead.

All the best,
Andy

Ross Walker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just a word of caution for all those in OSX land. I guess that OSX is case
> insensitive so doing things like:
>
> cat qmmm_qmtheorymodule.f
>
> module qmmm_QmTheoryModule

> end module qmmm_QmTheoryModule
>
> works fine. However, on Linux (and any other unix) this causes the
> makedepend script to get horribly confused and leads to missing dependencies
> since it can't find the file called qmmm_QmTheoryModule.f since it does not
> exist. There are possibly other examples of this in the code as well and we
> should be very careful of this.
>
> I will check in a fix for this issue shortly
>
> I suggest we use lowercase for everything in the future to avoid such
> issues.
>
> All the best
> Ross
>
> /\
> \/
> |\oss Walker
>
> | Assistant Research Professor |
> | San Diego Supercomputer Center |
> | Tel: +1 858 822 0854 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
> | http://www.rosswalker.co.uk | http://www.wmd-lab.org/ |
>
> Note: Electronic Mail is not secure, has no guarantee of delivery, may not
> be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
San Diego Supercomputer Center
Tel  : +1-858-822-4771
Email: agoetz.sdsc.edu