Re: [AMBER-Developers] PMEMD now built by default

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:30:26 -0500

Okay, good! Please don't remove the old framework though. I guess I am
wondering about the delta in performance between the two different build
methods. I have been absorbed with other things and not had a lot of
machine access, but have you guys now got the basic amber build so optimized
that this generic build is as fast as the tuned builds? In particular, how
do you handle the issue of all the performance-related defines in pmemd?
One thought I have had would be to include a define in this generic build
that causes printout of the fact that it is a generic, basically not
super-optimized build. The other thought on the old framework - it was
basically there not only to allow a different level of effort on
optimization, but also because pmemd had to hit a whole bunch of real
supercomputer targets, and frequently these sites would just be interested
in deploying pmemd, not the entire amber package on a given supercomputer.
We still need to maintain that. When are we shipping again? Do I have time
to do a bit of tweaking around some of these issues on the pmemd side?
Regards - Bob