Re: [AMBER-Developers] incompatible processor requirements in parallel tests

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:32:26 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Lachele Foley <lfoley.ccrc.uga.edu> wrote:
> Even though I now have CVS access, I don't feel qualified to fix this myself (except maybe to add some documentation).
>
> Some parallel tests require np=2, some require np>2, at least one requires np=1.  But, these skipped tests don't show up in "TEST_FAILURES" and aren't documented.  So, unless the user runs the stdout from the tests into a file and checks it (like I do), they never know.  I think this could be fixed with some documentation and perhaps a segregation of parallel tests (make test.parallel.np2, etc.).  If there is documentation, I didn't find it in the places I expected it.

This is what I do (make test.parallel | tee ampar.test) and then i can
look at ampar.test and see how it went. After seeing several of those
messages, I just decided that whenever I test in parallel, I'll just
run 2 threads, 4 threads, and 8 threads (though there is one that uses
1 and one that uses 32). I grep-ed out those that claim to need a
specific number of threads and created rules in the Makefile for that
number of processors (i.e. make test.parallel.4proc
test.parallel.8proc test.parallel.32proc). I did this because in
several cases, using 4/8/32 processors, you wouldn't necessarily want
to re-run every test (since for me, several failed when i went to 8
threads that passed on 2 and 4, though I only have a 4-core system).
But this doesn't prevent you from doing that if you want.

I checked in the new rules to Makefile. People can feel free to
remove it if they think it's pointless. But I agree with Lachele that
there should probably be some documentation about it (at least some
blurb in the README).

Ideas?