Re: [AMBER-Developers] Confusing clean targets.

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:11:34 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010, Ross Walker wrote:

> clean
> -----
> This removes the libraries (.a file) from the lib directory.

This is problematic: NAB is a compiler, and uses some of the .a files in
amber11/lib to compile programs. If you remove all *.a files in lib, you
effectively have to recompile NAB after each "make clean".

If there are particular *.a files that should be removed with "make clean",
you can get rid of those. But "make clean" should not remove all of them.

> distclean

This is probably a bad name for what might be a good target. "distclean"
implies that you get back to the "distribution" (nothing beyond what was in
the tar files), but you don't really do that.

But I don't really see the need for this. (1) the test directory can be
"cleaned" in its own directory; (2) does removing config.h really serve a
useful purpose?

Just my $.02 here -- there is probably no one "right" answer.

...dac