[AMBER-Developers] amber10/netcdf

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:15:21 -0500

Hello,

One issue that I ran into recently was helping someone install a copy
of amber10, which as far as I know does not ship with AmberTools.
It's known that AmberTools 1.3 is not compatible with amber10, which
is why they need to stay in different directories. However, if one
were to get a copy of amber10 now, they would not be able to compile
it (easily) with netcdf support, as amber does not ship with netcdf as
far as I know, and AmberTools 1.2 is no longer accessible on the
website.

I think it'd probably be a good idea to allow users to download 1.2,
if for no other reason than to complete their amber10 package (and
they can also install ambertools 1.3, of course, and use that one).
Ultimately, I think we should separate ambertools and amber
(AMBERTOOLSHOME, AMBERHOME), as their releases will not necessarily be
synchronized, and those upgrading ambertools with each release will
not necessarily be upgrading amber as well.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks!