Re: [AMBER-Developers] Near-final version of AmberTools 1.3

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:02:46 -0500

I would say no, since the configure would not really work well with
amber10 I'm guessing... though since maybe amber10 uses config_amber.h
(and ambertools uses config.h), it won't make such a big deal... I'd
still say it'd be safer to separate the two, though others may know
how (in)compatible at1.3 is with amber10. If there is no required
hard-coded reference to AMBEROME in the executables themselves, I
don't think it's crucial that all executables be in the same folder,
as long as both folders are in the PATH. Also, if it does prove to be
an issue, there will probably be a good bit of discussion on the
mailing list.

My opinion is that ultimately we should aim for independence of AT and
AMBER such that they can be upgraded independently (especially since
at upgrades will be coming out more frequently than amber upgrades).
Especially since one is open source and the other is not, it seems
logical to allow amber10 users to keep amber10 and upgrade tools
without needing also upgrade amber. One way of potentially solving
this is to have separate folders and separate environment variables
AMBERHOME and AMBERTOOLSHOME (or something to that extent)... but this
is probably a topic for future discussion.

All the best,
Jason