Re: [AMBER-Developers] -p4 intel switch of configure script

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 02:32:07 -0400

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:44:23PM -0700, MengJuei Hsieh wrote:

> There is probably a place of switches in AMBER/AT configure script need to
> be changed:
> when -p4 and intel switches are used, the configure script will search
> for ifort and icc and assign FOPTFLAGS and OCFLAGS accordingly. The OCFLAGS
> of such configuration will still contain "-axN", which is not compatible
> with x86_64 version of ifort. Meanwhile FOPTFLAGS does contain -axP option
> if "-p4 intel" are used.
>
> Should I simply change OCFLAGS from -axN to -axP in the configure script or
> should we create another switch like -sse3 ?

Yes there is inconsistency in configure.
I think our general trend has been and should be to eliminate
these special options unless there is a documented need.
In addition, pentium 4's are getting pretty stale; see below.

What hardware do you have - your target is not clear to me ?

Should we completely retire p4 ?

Scott

RCS file: /cvsroot/amber11/src/configure_amber,v
revision 9.12
date: 2006/10/05 19:04:50; author: rcw; state: Exp; lines: +5 -15
RCW: Remove -athlon option from configure, no longer needed. Also remove the -tpp7 option from the intel compiler. Made -axNP or -axWP the default option and removed -p4 for Intel compiler. -p4 option still exists for other compilers but we should probably get rid of it for these as well.