Re: [AMBER-Developers] AmberTool on Mac OS 10.6 (was Re: Amber on Mac (Snow Leopard))

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 16:49:05 -0400

Leaving -m32 out or keeping it in worked fine for me on MacOS 10.5, but to
my knowledge every binary/library on a 10.5 OS was 32-bit. Snow Leopard
will compile with either -m32, -m64, or neither (though I have no idea what
it does by default). The problem for me always comes when it tries to
assemble a library with ranlib or try to link to a library that is
inevitably in conflict with something (and it always throws an architecture
complaint). I don't know the amber/ambertools compilation well enough to
know whether it links to any external libraries (if no MKL is installed) by
default that are already present, but I have not been able to compile many
applications on Snow Leopard (ambertools among others) that compiled with no
problems on Leopard and Tiger. It's frustrating enough for me to downgrade
back to 10.5.

And one other curiosity, how can a 32-bit kernel support 64-bit memory
addressing? Wouldn't that be the very definition of a 64-bit kernel, or am I
missing something? I've never had this issue before Snow Leopard. (Or
perhaps it's a 32-bit OS using a 64-bit kernel? But again, wouldn't that be
a 64-bit OS? This is a bit too confusing.)

Again, I had no problem compiling amber after taking out -m32, just
ambertools.