Re: [AMBER-Developers] symmetrizing improper dihedrals in Amber force fields

From: Wei Zhang <zgjzweig.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:58:56 +0100

On Jun 17, 2009, at 12:47 PM, David A. Case wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm attaching a paper sent me by Edyta Malolepsza, pointing out that
> the
> Amber force fields are not invariant to permutations among
> equivalent atoms
> in a variety of cases. (For example, if you swap OD1 and OD2 in
> asp, you
> might get a slightly different energy.) There is also a proposed fix.
>
> I don't think we can just patch the prep files at this point, since
> that
> would upset backwards compatibility. But I am thinking that we
> should put
> these changes into the next versions of all our force fields, since
> that
> would just represent one improvement (among others) of the new ff's
> over the
> old ones.
>
> There remains the question of how to implement this; ideally, tleap
> and sleap
> would be modified, somehow(?) knowing when to use the new rules and
> when to
> use the old ones. Alternatively, we could post-process the prmtop
> files, as
> suggested in the paper.

It is very easy to make changes to sleap. I think we can do what Ross
suggested for the 14 scale
factor. We add a new section to the frcmod file, which lists all
improper torsions
which should be handled using the new rule. tleap will ignore this
section and treat
all improper torsions using the old rule (so that backward
compatibility is kept), while
sleap will read this section and handle them different.