RE: [AMBER-Developers] Update question

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 02:43:20 +0000

Hi,

No an executable is not necessarily all loaded into memory upon startup.
In general an OS will allow one to modify the file corresponding
to a running executable although one can usually sequence the operations
to avoid this, for example during patching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory-mapped_file
http://www.linuxhq.com/guides/TLK/mm/memory.html
Linux uses demand paging to load executable images into a process's virtual memory. Whenever a command is executed, the file containing it is opened and its contents are mapped into the process's virtual memory. This is done by modifying the data structures describing this process' memory map and is known as memory mapping. However, only the first part of the image is actually brought into physical memory. The rest of the image is left on disk. As the image executes, it generates page faults and Linux uses the process's memory map in order to determine which parts of the image to bring into memory for execution.

Scott