Re: [AMBER-Developers] Update question

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:33:52 -0500

There may be some system dependencies on actual access to the executable.
In old systems for sure, the executable would be paged in from disk as
needed, so overwriting could cause grief (and often was not permitted -
there are various ways this was handled, and it was filesystem/os
dependent). If I were doing this, just to insure sanity, I would install in
a different directory and switch when nothing is up. I have not looked at
this issue for 20 years, but better safe than sorry is my basic attitude.
Regards - Bob