Re: amber-developers: Random seeds

From: David A. Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:38:34 -0500

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008, Ross Walker wrote:

> This reminds me of something we should probably discuss at the AMBER
> developers meeting. I propose that we change the way ig works and we should
> try to make sure this gets put into both sander and pmemd. My proposal is
> that +ve values of ig should behave as they do now. Then if one sets a value
> of ig=0 then it uses the time of day in microseconds for the random number
> stream.

This microsecond model is currently triggered by ig=-1. Why should be
introduce backward compatibility with a change. I don't think anyone
needs to use 1 or -1 as a true seed.

> In the case of ig=0 we would need to decide whether or not random numbers
> are synchronized between threads but I vote not to do this since for
> Langevin as far as I can tell the current approach of enforcing the
> synchronization of random numbers is crazy and doesn't help with the actual
> accuracy at all - in fact it allows people to introduce very weird
> correlations.

Just a note: for things like thermodynamic integration, the code
requires synchonization, since you need to be running the same
trajectory for both groups. [The current ig=-1 option does not work for
TI.]

But I second Bob's suggestion that we learn from what others have done
on parallel random number schemes, and try to avoid "mere" continual
tweaking of what we already have.

...dac