Re: amber-developers: "open source" and GPL software

From: Xuebin Qiao <xbqiao.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 13:25:35 +0800

> But as far as I can tell just about everything that runs on Linux is in
> breach of this license model. Is not most of the stuff in Linux GPL? If so
> then building any commercial software on Linux would breach this license
> since just linking against various system libraries statically would put
> you in breach of this. And what about dynamic linking?
>
> Note FFTW is released under GPL so does this mean everything that links
> against it that is not GPL is in breach of the GPL license?

Yes, this is just GPL. We bsder think it seems virus that try to infect
every creatures they touch. RMS's philosophy is too ideal for ordinary
programmers to earn a decent live. Money does not mean everything, but
without money you can do nothing. :-)

If u have proprietary software, you'd better link with libraries under LGPL.
That's why we intend to choose toolkits under more loose licenses in design
phase, such BSD, LGPL, Apache, Mozilla and etc.

BTW, fftw has a commercial-friend license that should be bought from MIT.
Its dual license model is quite like QT.

qxb

--
... there have been two really clean,
consistent models of programming so far: