RE: amber-developers: "open source" and GPL software

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 19:23:26 -0700

> No, this would not be acceptable. See section 2b of the GPL
> license:
>
> b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
> part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
> parties under the terms of this License.
>
> Roughly: If your code links to a GPL routine, and you want to distribute
> your code, you must distribute the entire code under the GPL.

But as far as I can tell just about everything that runs on Linux is in
breach of this license model. Is not most of the stuff in Linux GPL? If so
then building any commercial software on Linux would breach this license
since just linking against various system libraries statically would put
you in breach of this. And what about dynamic linking?

Note FFTW is released under GPL so does this mean everything that links
against it that is not GPL is in breach of the GPL license?

Surely we just build any GPL software we want to use as a library and link
against it no? This appears to be what everyone else does.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/