Re: amber-developers: sprng parallel rng's

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 17:46:05 -0400

Oh, yes, when I first hit SPRNG (actually several weeks ago, when for
whatever reason I was thinking about this stuff again), I did have the worry
that there might be GPL problems, and I was not sure whether that would then
make it something optional like NetCDF, or what. My general preference is
to get a deeper understanding of the underlying principles, do something
that is effectively published as an algorithm and in the public domain but
not code, and thereby provide the users with a solid consistent
implementation of something that everyone can easily get/use. Like I say, I
want to really think about this stuff a while; this issue has been brewing
for a couple of years, I have mentioned it as a major bottleneck, and no one
has leaned on me about it. I did not jump all over it because my impression
was that folks would be using ntt 3 for short thermal equilibration, where
high scaling is less of an issue (plus the fact that the crew out here
really does none of this stuff - I am probably the most interested party).
Regards - Bob