Re: amber-developers: Verlet update time and ntt=3 parallel scaling

From: Andreas Svrcek-Seiler <svrci.tbi.univie.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:35:32 +0200 (CEST)

Just 0.02$ more:
In an ideal rng there are no correlations, but such a thing does not
exist. The statistical properties
of any subsequences should be indiscernible from physical white noise.
Currently the best rng (as far as I know) is the Mersenne twister (MT)
(see http://www.math.sci.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~m-mat/MT/emt.html).
It offers periods up to 2**216091-1 (if one needs it) and
as far as I remember any chosen seed gets you to somewhere (randomly,
equally distributed) onto a number stream of length (period).
Besides even the not architecture-optimized version of the MT
is twice or more faster than (in)famous rand(), which I tested a while
ago.
I someone is really interested, he/she could try to contact MT's
"father", Makoto Matsumoto, for answers to specifiec technical questions.
He seem quite enthusiastic about people actually making use of his work.

Unfortunately I didn't understand a word from the paper about MT.

best,
Andreas

P.S.:It seems hard to imagine (for me) that there's a significant
difference between a "good" and a "bad" rng when it comes to MD (e.g. driving a
langevin-heatbath). Are you all sure you could tell the difference
between a "real" rng and -say- the first 1000000 digits of pi
repeated over and over driving a MD run when looking at the results?
(nonetheless - in dubio mersenne twisto :-)

             )))))
             (((((
            ( O O )
               o Wolfgang Andreas Svrcek-Seiler