Re: amber-developers: Build broke?

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:31:39 -0400

Hi David,
Okay, thanks. Problem solved by work-around. I am using a rather old but
stable release of ifort (version 8.1, build 20050309Z, l_fc_pc_8.1.025) on a
32 bit xeon. This compiler apparently has a language parsing error and gets
confused by a line continuation construct of the general form:

.....( .......'(' ........ ')' .... &
          ........)
(ie., it gets lost when it hits the quoted parens instead of the final
parens on the continued line - I have really not broken it down exactly, but
if you merge the line, it parses correctly).

I attached the original and modified code I compiled; I would probably just
use the modified code myself rather than requiring the fixed compiler, but
it is my general philosophy to demand less rather than more of the
compilers - you end up causing yourself less grief in the long run (though
this one is sort of silly...).

It actually looks like there may be some other errors of this sort later on,
so we may be forced to upgrade (I'll see how widespread the problem is
before I ditch the compiler - it would be nice to not have to force people
to ditch this compiler, as it was really pretty good overall).

Regards - Bob